Options and Availability
We produce both fresh and dehydrated (dried) herbs. The availability of fresh herbs is not entirely under our control. Weather and marauding goats also have an impact on our crop. We try a few new things every year -- but our "standards" are shown in the "Basic List" below.
Please contact us to check availability or to order.
I begin harvesting when the plants are developed enough to tolerate it -- and quit when they start looking stressed. I cannot predict (with great accuracy) what will be available, particularly in large quantity, on any specific day. Contact us -- or stop by to see what is ready to harvest.
Dried (Year Round)
We harvest when the herb is available. If we do not use it, we dehydrate it for use later. Personally, I believe that the quality is better than what you can get in a store. It SMELLS like the fresh plant when you open the container. Basil and Dill do not dry well -- so I turn them into oils (which freeze well). I cannot sell the herb-oils or pestos (I am licensed to sell herbs, vegetables, and baked goods) -- but I can sell you the fresh and teach you how to make the oils and pestos yourself.
These varieties are either perennials [P] or the annuals [A] that I plant every year. Perennials tend to be ready to harvest earlier than the annuals. Each year, I also experiment with a few new/additional annuals (call or visit to discover what those are for summer 2012).
- Basil -- Italian food, salads, pesto [A]
- Borage -- Cucumber scent / blue flowers [P]
- Chive (garlic) -- A hint of garlic with the onion [P]
- Chive (regular) -- Salad, cooked dishes and as a garnish [P]
- Cilantro (Coriander) -- Used in Mexican, Asian and Indian dishes [A]
- Dill (fern leaf or "baby") -- The "baby" dill used with fish dishes, salads and sauces [A]
- Dill (canning) -- Ready in the fall for pickling [A]
- Marjoram -- Combine with Oregano for Italian dishes and with Sage for Poultry [A]
- Catnip (mint) -- Tea for yourself or a treat for "Fluffy" [P]
- Spearmint -- Tea, juleps, salad, fruit [P]
- Oregano -- Perfect for everything Italian [P]
- Parsley -- Flat leaf parsley makes everything smell and taste fresh [A]
- Rosemary -- Use for lamb or beef [P] (if brought in for the winter -- which I do)
- Sage -- Not just for Thanksgiving, this is the main ingredient of Poultry seasoning [P]
- Summer Savory -- Used like sage in Canada; nice with chicken or pork [A]
- Scallions -- Green Onion Salads, omelets, soups, etc. [A]
- Tarragon (French and Russian) -- Used in chicken, egg, creams, salads, etc. (faintly sweet) [P]
- Thyme -- Meats, vegetables, salad [P]